PamTen, Inc. Principal Technical Architect (AWS Cloud Solution) in Atlanta, Georgia
The AWS Cloud Solution Architect is responsible for the architecture of cloud-based implementations that drive our clients transformation of the way the world buys, sells and owns cars. This architect will be a key leader in the transformation of our clients systems into modern cloud-based designs, by helping Engineering teams to quickly determine their best approach for migrating their platforms (re-architect, re-factor, re-host, etc.) and their optimal designs, cloud native where ever possible.
The AWS Cloud Solution Architect is an architectural servant leader who effectively coaches and guides teams to deliver well architected platforms into the cloud. The AWS Cloud Solution Architect is also responsible for identifying key re-usable patterns, working with the appropriate platform Engineering teams to produce & support, and then encouraging their adoption where needed. A focus on blending functional and non-functional (e.g. performance, security, efficiency, and operational) requirements is required. This person plays a leadership role in establishing architectural vision and direction, drives platform technical and solution architectures, provides advice and guidance, monitors emerging technologies, and is a key influencer in technology evaluation and selection. They are focused on the "greater good” of the organization, acting with humility as they shape and mold the Cox Automotive Cloud Platform, combining the best from the industry with the innovations of our Cox Automotive Product Engineering teams. They are also responsible for attracting, leading, developing and retaining talent and must have exceptional communication skills. This position will require travel up to 25% of the time.
Team Overview: This position will report into the Architecture organization, specifically into the Cloud Business Office responsible for migrating platforms into the cloud and providing stewardship of tools, processes and underlying platforms needed for Engineering teams to run and deliver software in the cloud.
● Work with Engineering teams to understand their local software product delivery tools and processes and to create solutions for integration of those into the enterprise pattern set.
● Own resolution of complex, impactful and/or frequently recurring architecture questions, with reference implementations where feasible. Measured by minimal time spent by Engineering teams awaiting architecture decisions.
● Develop and promote enterprise design patterns to help Engineering teams implement well-architected workloads in the cloud. Measured by minimal re-work from Engineering teams and optimal scores against the five AWS Well Architected Framework pillars.
● Provide comparative cloud run cost guidance for proposed designs, and coach Engineering teams to do the same. Measured by optimal cloud platform run cost.
● Work with Tech Arch Practice Leads and Release Train Architects to develop and refine cloud adoption patterns and plans as appropriate for their respective business portfolios. Participate in respective team meetings where possible to stay in sync on needs and approaches.
● Own the master list of cloud products, features and patterns available for Engineering teams to utilize. This will include the current maturity disposition (i.e.. emerging to retirement). Also track teams' experimentation with these products and features so-as to ensure harvest and sharing of their results.
● Communicate technical architectures, relevant technologies, practices, platforms, and products to Engineering teams and stakeholders, thru blogs and other sharable forums.
● Evaluate emerging cloud products for use within Cox Auto, and provide feedback to vendor product teams as needed to provide our most-needed features. Conduct POCs for applicability as needed.
● Facilitate technical design reviews, ensuring adherence to architectural standards, and consistency of critical patterns across organizational and design boundaries, and mentor Engineering and Architecture team members to do the same.
● Provide technical guidance and oversight, and act as a point of escalation for difficult and critical cloud-based system design decisions. Recommend options for the resolution/prevention of technical debt against the Well-Architected Framework
● Build a positive working environment and culture of learning. Ensure the program team's overall morale and productivity continually improve.
● Work with key stakeholders to help prioritize work based on several variables including: value-add, ROI potential, and impact on technical resources.
● Deep understanding of software delivery and automated CI/CD processes so-as to help Product Engineering teams make most effective use of the cloud for custom-developed software.
● Status as Certified AWS Solutions Architect (or demonstrable equivalency)
● Bachelor's degree in Computer Science degree or related field or equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education, with Master's or advanced degree desired
● 10 years+ of working experience as a practicing architect with 3+ years of experience with architecting and engineering AWS cloud-based solutions.
● Significant working experience architecting, engineering and operating cloud native solutions, establishing and leveraging Platform as a Service capabilities, ideally on Amazon Web Services.
● Working experience as a Technical Lead on large-scale software implementations with design and hands-on development using open-source based frameworks
● Effective verbal and written communicator
● Proven leadership and collaboration skills
● Public speaking and industry involvement are highly desirable and encouraged.